University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine
The University of Toronto (U of T) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology joined the AMPATH consortium in 2007 and co-leads the Reproductive Health component of the collaboration, AMPATH-RH, in partnership with the Indiana University Department of Ob/Gyn. U o f T also plays major roles in AMPATH's oncology and public health programs.
U of T maintains a full-time presence in Eldoret with co-field director for Reproductive Health, Dr. Astrid Christofferson-Deb, and support from visiting U of T Ob/Gyn specialists and subspecialists, public health researchers and basic scientists. To date, the partnership has focused on clinical care, in particular around the prevention of maternal morbidity and mortality and prevention and treatment of cervical cancer and other gynaecologic malignancies. Our partnership with Moi University includes a strong research component in particular in regards to the evaluation of clinical interventions and gaining a better understanding regarding diseases of the reproductive tract in western Kenya with a view to improving their management.
The U of T Department of Ob/Gyn participates in bidirectional exchanges including hosting two Moi medical students to our department annually and offering opportunities in Eldoret for junior U of T medical students in research and senior students in clinical electives. U of T Ob/Gyn residents have the opportunity to do an extended elective in Eldoret and we look forward to hosting Moi M.Med registrars in Reproductive Health in the third year of their program (which accepted its first year of trainees in early 2011). Bilateral fellowship and faculty exchanges also take place.
Contacts For Our Program
- Lead, AMPATH-UofT: Dr. Rachel Spitzer, Vice-Chair, Global Women's Health, Assistant Professor, Department of ObGyn, University of Toronto email@example.com
- Field Director, AMPATH-Reproductive Health: Dr. Astrid Christofferson-Deb, Assistant Professor, Department of ObGyn, University of Toronto firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of Research, AMPATH-UofT: Dr. Alan Blocking, Professor, Department of ObGyn, University of Toronto email@example.com
- Head, Division of GynOnc: Dr. Barry Rosen, Professor, Department of ObGyn, University of Toronto Barry.Rosen@uhn.on.ca
- Head, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Dr. Nan Okun, Associate Professor, Department of ObGyn, University of Toronto firstname.lastname@example.org